Tech

Bluepoint Games: What’s Happening With The Sony PlayStation Studio Behind Demon’s Souls? – AfroTech



About 70 employees will lose their jobs as Sony Group Corp. moves to shut down Bluepoint Games, according to Bloomberg.

The Austin, TX–based PlayStation subsidiary known for developing high-profile game remakes for modern platforms will close in March 2026 following what Sony described as a “recent business review,” per Bloomberg.

“Bluepoint Games is an incredibly talented team and their technical expertise has delivered exceptional experiences for the PlayStation community,” a spokesperson said, per the outlet. “We thank them for their passion, creativity, and craftsmanship.”

Bluepoint Games was founded in 2006, then acquired by Sony in 2021, shortly after the November 2020 release of Demon’s Souls on PlayStation 5, reports Bloomberg.

The subsidiary was also behind the PlayStation 4 remake of Shadow of the Colossus in February 2018 and Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection in October 2015, according to its website.

“We are always striving to push our limits and surpass expectations,” its website states. “With each game, we set out to achieve industry-defining visuals and gameplay, while fostering the growth and success of our team.”

Gaming Industry Updates

The Bluepoint Games closure comes amid a broader trend of high-profile delays in the gaming industry, including the long-awaited Grand Theft Auto 6, which has already faced multiple delays.

As AFROTECH™ previously reported, publisher Take-Two Interactive pushed the game’s release date to Nov. 19, 2026. The November 2025 announcement marked the second official delay from its original Fall 2025 launch estimate.

The delay disappointed investors and fans, causing Take-Two’s stock to dip by 5%, according to Reuters. However, analysts said the financial impact is likely limited and could even strengthen the game’s commercial potential due to the new launch date’s proximity to the holiday season.

Following news of the postponement, Michael Pachter, managing director of strategic planning at Wedbush Securities, told Reuters that Take Two’s decision could even help maintain the series’s high standards.

“They (Take-Two) need the game to be great,” Pachter said, Reuters reported. “More time makes that more likely.”

Delays have become increasingly common in the gaming industry, as developers balance rising player expectations with growing production costs, Reuters noted.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button